Thursday 4 June
Powered by Ajaxy
Apr 28, 2020 @ 12:06

Group urges gov’t to bring in VisMin’s excess pork supply to Luzon

In contrast with government’s claims that there is going to be a shortage of pork, an agriculture lobby group is saying there is actually an oversupply of the commodity in Visayas and Mindanao and it is urging the Department of Agriculture (DA) in Luzon.

“We urge DA to help bring the surplus pork supply in Mindanao and some regions in the Visayae to Luzon. This will balance the pork needs of the country,” Samahang Industriya ng Agrikultura (SINAG) said.

“The pork from Mindanao will help fill the needs of our supermarkets, while the pork from Luzon will continue to supply our local wet markets and pamilihang bayan,” it added.

The group also told the DA that pork demand has so far decreased by 20 percent due to the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).

“We want to assure the DA of local pork supply in the coming months. Cebu, a central hub for local pork production has at least 3 months of pork surplus. Cold storages in Southern Mindanao and some regions in Visayas and Mindanao are filled to capacity with stocks of surplus local pork,” SINAG said.

SINAG’s statement came after Agriculture Secretary William Dar encouraged consumers to eat chicken instead of pork to manage the potential shortage.



 

Trending News

Recommended on sister sites

Related Posts
Copyright © 2020 Food Evolution - foodevolution.com.ph. TechCellar.com